Lesson: Welland Canal Holiday
Activity: Welland Canal Holiday Activity sheets
- Students will make meaningful connections with classmates about the winter holidays
- Students will explore and understand the importance of the winter holidays to their classmates and community
- Students will explore interesting facts about the Welland Canals facilitated through the Welland Canal Holiday activity sheets
- Pencil Crayons
Welland Canal Holiday activity sheets
Pre-Lesson: Discussion of the winter holidays
Lead an open discussion with students about the winter holidays by asking the following questions:
- What holidays do you celebrate?
- How do you celebrate the holidays?
- Why are the winter holidays important to you?
- What is the meaning of celebrating the winter holidays?
Allow students time to generate their thoughts into answers. This is a great way for their peers to practice listening and understanding how everyone celebrates the holiday differently. It also teaches classmates to respect their peer’s identity and understand that we are a diverse community.
Explain to students that the winter holidays is known for being on of the best times of the year; it brings families and friends together, provides time to reflect and give thanks for the many wonderful things that we have in our lives. It is also a time to support the community by giving back. Remind students that the winter holidays are not just about receiving gifts, rather it’s about the power of giving and the importance of positivity. Ask students what is one way they can give back to their community during the winter holidays (i.e. donating toys to a local charity, help neighbours shovel their driveways, etc.)
As a fun way to kick off the winter holidays, explain to students that they are going to be completing the Welland Canals Holiday activity sheets to celebrate the winter holiday season.
- Download and print the Welland Canal Holiday activity sheets. If you cannot print, STCM recommend downloading the Adobe or Word version of the handout and completing them electronically.
Wrap up Discussion
Once students have completed their activity sheets, have students share their creations with the class. As a fun holiday twist, have students dress up in their most wacky holiday attire.