The holidays are an exciting time of year but for many people in our community who find themselves in a place of need, it can be a cold, uncomfortable, and lonely time.
To help launch and promote the Museum’s annual Mitten Tree campaign, in which we collect winter clothing for adults, families, and children supported through Community Care of St. Catharines and Thorold, and Out of the Cold by Start Me Up Niagara, we’ve put together a neat-o podcast episode detailing our efforts, and the efforts of others, to make our city and community a more caring and compassionate place.
For more information on the initiatives and programs you hear about in this episode, check out our podcast footnotes below.
You can also catch our podcast episodes on our Sound Cloud page.
AND check out this fun Facebook Live video that public programmers Sara and Lauren did while decorating the Mitten Tree in preparation for the launch this weekend!
1) Information on Mayor Sendzik’s Compassionate STC Initiative.
2) Learn more about Cat Skinner’s Junior Creative Writers program.
3) Learn more about other, great holiday campaigns, including the Tree of Little Angels.
4) To register for Museum programs, please visit our website or call the Museum at 905.984.8880
5) Listen to an actual, more enjoyable, and original German version of Oh Christmas Tree.
6) Watch the 1953 music video for ‘I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas’ with the correct lyrics (and have the tune stuck in your head for the next week).