Frank Case McCordick was born to parents Mr. and Mrs. William Henry McCordick on June 2, 1873. McCordick was born and raised in St. Catharines and attended Collegiate Institute. As a young man, McCordick worked for his father’s tannery business, which he later took over and eventually owned.
In 1897 he enlisted in the 19th Lincoln Regiment and by 1900 was granted a commission as Lieutenant. McCordick was promoted in 1906 to rank of Captain and given command of Company “A” of the 19th Lincoln Regiment. In 1910, he was promoted to rank of Major, but remained with the same Regiment. Between 1912 and 1914, McCordick served as Brigade Major of the Hamilton Infantry Brigade. Upon the outbreak of World War One, he was promoted Lt. Colonel and sent overseas as Commander of the 35th Battalion of the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force (C.E.F.), a company he organized in Toronto. He also served as Officer commanding the 15th Batt, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry the only Canadian officer to command a British unit in action. Additionally, he was sent overseas in the 19th Battalion, 4th Reserve Battalion and the 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade. At the onset of his service, McCordick landed in France but also served in England. His service in World War One officially ceased on November 21, 1918.
Upon returning to Canada, he reorganized the Lincoln Regiment in St. Catharines. In 1924, he was promoted to Colonel of the 5th Infantry Brigade. The 5th Infantry Brigade was comprised of units from the Lincoln, Haldimand Rifles, Norfolk Regiment and Lincoln-Welland Regiment. McCordick served the 5th Infantry Brigade for three years after which he retired from service in 1927 with the rank of Colonel in the reserve of officers.
Social Life: After his retirement from the Army, McCordick took an active public life as a citizen of St. Catharines. Col. McCordick was Alderman of the city for five years (1925-1930) and also acted as Chairman of the finance committee. He was the Mayor of St. Catharines from 1930-1931. He was on the Board of Governors of the St. Catharines General Hospital; President and Director of the St. Catharines Chamber of Commerce; was a member of the Y.M.C.A. since 1898 and was elected Director of the Y.M.C.A. in 1921. McCordick was the first Chief of the St. Catharines Lions Club; President and Vice-President of the St. Catharines Golf Club; member of the Detroit Boat Club; Director of the St. Catharines Club; Member of the National Club and Military institute of Toronto and of the St. George’s Club in London, England. McCordick was a member of multiple fraternities including: St. George’s Lodge; Plantagenet Perceptory; Ramses Temple; union Lodge; and Independent Order of Odd fellows (I.O.O.F.). In 1938, he was Commissioner of St. Catharines Public Utilities Commission. He was a member of the Henley Aquatic Assoc., Board of Governors of the St. Catharines General Hospital, St. Catharines Golf Club, St. Catharines Club, National Club Toronto, Military Institute Toronto, and St. Georges Club, London, England. McCordick was a member of the United Church and attended and served on the financial board of the St. Paul St. Parish. in business, post-war, McCordick was President and Managing Director of the McCordick Tannery; Vice-President of the Kimber-Hillier Company Ltd.; Director of the Trans-America Investment Trust Co. of Toronto.
Personal Life: In 1903, Frank Case McCordick married May Beatrice Simson, daughter of Thomas E. Simson of Thorold. Together they had three children – Edward Frank McCordick; Bruce McCordick (m. Margaret) and Doris McCordick (m. Hubert Grigout). McCordick and his family lived at 82 Yates Street.
Frank Case McCordick died at the Toronto General Hospital on November 20, 1946 at the age of 74 after a brief illness. His funeral service was held at St. Paul Street United Church and he is buried in the Victoria Lawn Cemetery, St. Catharines