Mary C. Burgoyne, daughter of William Bartlett Camerom Burgoyne, was born in 1920. She attended St. Hilda’s School in Toronto, Ovenden School in Barrie, and Bishop Strachan School in Toronto.
Mary Burgoyne began her career teaching ballroom dancing in various Ontario private schools. She taught between 1938 and 1942. From 1942-1944 Mary worked as a technician in Medical research at the Banting Institute in Toronto. She spent the years 1944 to 1947 overseas driving ambulances for the Canadian Red Cross in North West Europe during WW2 and settled for a time in England after the war.
After returning to Canada, Burgoyne received her Registered Nurse’s certificate from Montreal General Hospital in either 1950 or 1951. In 1951 she began working at CKTB radio in St. Catharines and by 1975 she was president and managing director of the Niagara District Broadcasting Company Limited and owner of CKTB.
In 1967 she became director of the St. Catharines Standard Limited, and from 1970 to 1973 she was president and publisher of the newspaper. Following this period she remained active in the corporation, acting as chairman until her death in 1989.
Mary Burgoyne had been actively involved with the Y.W.C.A., the Red Cross Society, Niagara College, the May Court Club, and the Women’s Auxiliary of the No. 9 Elementary Flying and Training School of the RCAF.