Streetcars transformed the way people moved through their cities. The first streetcars in St. Catharines appeared in 1879 and were horse-drawn. A few years later, an electric system was introduced which used power generated by the Second Welland Canal. In 1898, the streetcar system was purchased by the Niagara, St. Catharines, and Toronto Railway (N.S. & T.) and quickly became very popular because of its ability to move passengers along several interurban routes. This station was closed and replaced by a new one at Welland Avenue and Geneva Street in 1924. The system was slowly decommissioned after the Second World War with most regular passenger routes no longer in service by 1947.
Out with the Old, in with the New
After Canadian National Electric Railway took over the NS&T they built a large station mid-town St. Catharines which helped facilitate the growth of the system, especially their steamer service which linked Toronto to Port Dalhousie by boat, then to St. Catharines by streetcar.
There’s More to the Story
Check out the entire History InSite installation and find the other panels.
About History InSite
A permanent, site specific installation, History InSite juxtaposes historical photographs with modern streetscapes by presenting the photo in, or close to, the place which it was taken.
St. Catharines has a rich photographic history and when compared to the changing streetscapes around the City, that history becomes much more meaningful, poignant, and relevant to our modern eyes.
History InSite is presented by the St. Catharines Museum & Welland Canals Centre.
If you spot any graffiti on our purple History InSite signs, please send us a message and photo via email firstname.lastname@example.org.