This lost streetscape features a solitary streetcar on St. Paul Street with pedestrians walking on wooden sidewalks with newly paved streets. The Bank of Nova Scotia building on the left was replaced with the current building in 1968. The Russell House Hotel, pictured at right, was built in 1843. The hotel boasted 62 rooms including parlours, writing rooms, salons, and a dining room that sat 80 people. It was gutted by fire in the 1990s and subsequently demolished in 1996.
Variety is the Spice of Life
The Fire Insurance Plan from 1913 reveals the variety of activity and life in the neighbourhood around the Russell House.
There’s More to the Story
Check out the entire History InSite installation and find the other panels.
About History InSite
A permanent, site specific installation, History InSite juxtaposes historical photographs with modern streetscapes by presenting the photo in, or close to, the place which it was taken.
St. Catharines has a rich photographic history and when compared to the changing streetscapes around the City, that history becomes much more meaningful, poignant, and relevant to our modern eyes.
History InSite is presented by the St. Catharines Museum & Welland Canals Centre.
If you spot any graffiti on our purple History InSite signs, please send us a message and photo via email email@example.com.