There’s More to the Story
There’s always more information, stories, and artifacts than we can fit in an exhibit. Explore the contents below to learn more about the history of the Third Welland Canal.
Virtual Museum Lecture: “Lost and Forgotten: the Third Welland Canal.”
This lecture examines the story of construction, and history of its disuse to rediscover the Third Welland Canal. With its urban sections mostly buried, the physical traces of the Third Canal are difficult to find.
Image Gallery: Letters and Documents
View additional letters and documents from the Museum’s collection regarding the Third Welland Canal.
Artifact and Images Object Package: Third Welland Canal
Explore the Museum’s collection via eMuseum and see objects and photographs related to the Third Welland Canal we weren’t able to put on display.
The below list of sources are available at the St. Catharines Public Library.
- This Great National Object by Roberta Styran and Robert Taylor
- This Colossal Project by Roberta Styran and Robert Taylor
- Guarding Niagara: The Welland Canal Force, 1914-1918 by William Smy
- The Great Swivel Link: Canada’s Welland Canal by Roberta Styran and Robert Taylor
- Canada’s Canal City by John N. Jackson and Sheila M. Wilson